Student Advisory Service Product Development & Design Technology


Please note that the MSE follows the recommendations shared by RWTH Aachen University in order to support the attempt to contain the spread of the coronavirus. Personal counselling services - as well as the institute's study counselling - are offered solely by telephone and online.

Please use the RWTH's after hour's mailbox to submit registration forms and applications. The mailbox is located on the outside of the main building (Templergraben 55), on the side facing the Super C, to the right of the Bistro entrance. Please always state MSE - Student Advisory Service as the recipient so that your mail can be correctly allocated.

Thank you for your understanding. 




When and where does the Student Advisory Service provide consultation hours?

By appointment only
Eilfschornsteinstraße 18

Presentations on internships

  • Make your appointment:
    Ms. Angelika Seves
    Tel.: +49 241 80 27341
  • Location:
    Center for Wind Power Drives der RWTH Aachen (CWD)
    Campus Boulevard 61, 52074 Aachen
    Seminarraum 001
  • Preparing your talk
    a) Duration: max. 10 minutes
    b) Presentation.
            - PowerPoint in.ppt/.pptx format of 8 to 10 slides
            - Focus on own activities; keeping company's description short in order to put more emphasis on your internship
    c) Clear structure
        1. Problem
        2. Solution approach
        3. Execution
        4. Assessment
  • Sessions conducted by Dr. Oliver Weber 
  • Please provide your internship certificate at the talk

Curriculum changes

I'm planning a period of study abroad: where can I find the appropriate information?

A curriculum change must be submitted prior to taking the non-domestic exam in the event of subject changes due to a period of study abroad. A detailed and credible overview of the subject contents and a justification for the choice of subjects should therefore be presented. Contact the faculty's study abroad advice team regarding this.

Notes: The faculty's Departmental Student Advisory Service can assist with questions not involving the content, but for instance the number of hours for the exam.
When registering for the exam, the approved application must be presented to the central examination office, ZPA for short in German.


How to register your thesis for "Development & Construction"

  1. Admission to the bachelor thesis to be filled in by the ZPA
  2. Issue of the topic
    • Register of the topic and time schedule of the thesis (consultation with the respective supervisor)
    • Obtaining all necessary signatures (supervising assistant, external supervisor if applicable, and supervising professor)
  3. Submitting the documentation sheet to the MSE academic advisor for approval of the thesis by the professional field supervisor.
    • Please use the RWTH deadline mailbox to submit data entry sheets and applications. The deadline mailbox is located on the outside of the main building (Templergraben 55), on the side facing Super C. You will find it by the mail room, which you can recognize by a roof protrusion. Please always indicate MSE Student Advising as the recipient so that your mail can be properly assigned.
    • Send your intake form digitally to the Student Advising Center.
  4. Notification by the MSE via email once the data entry sheet has been signed.
  5. Forwarding of the data entry sheet by the MSE to the ZPA (or examination board in the case of external work).


The processing time is usually one week.

What guidelines are there for the supervision of external projects?

Where can I find further contact points and sources of information on my studies?

Departmental Student Advisory Service for Machine Construction at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering deals with all basic academic affairs.
The Machine Construction Student Representative Council is a student lobby group where you will find information material on the individual specializations.

The ZPA is responsible for exam management.

I would like to choose a subject from the elective section of the Bachelor degree that has more credit points than required. Can I use the extra credit points to replace another subject, or have the credits taken into account for my Master?

No. The extra credit points will be forfeited without substitution.

I completed a Bachelor degree at another university and would now like to study the "Product Development" Master degree program...

... The module description in the academic regulations suggests that some compulsory courses for the Master degree program build on the knowledge from subjects in the Bachelor degree program vocational field Design Technology. These subjects are not however a constituent part of the elective section for the Master degree program. Can I choose to use these subjects as elective subjects?

Yes. The elective section in the Master degree program can in principle be augmented with other subjects by means of a curriculum change. Although should subjects be chosen that contain more credit points than for the selective section, these will be forfeited without substitution.


The "Machine Design I" course allows me to collect so-called bonus points for the final exam. Do the bonus points I acquire apply beyond the current semester?

No. The bonus points for the "Machine Design I" course can only be used for the corresponding exam in that semester in which they were acquired. After that they are forfeited without substitution.

For the course "Fundamentals of Product Development", the course "Machine Design II/III" is listed as a prerequisite in the module description of the examination regulations. I have not fulfilled the prerequisite so far, can I still attend FPD?

Yes, the course "Machine Design II/III" is not a formal prerequisite to attend the course "Fundamentals of Product Development" or to write the exam. However, since the contents of the courses build on each other, the MSE recommends the described sequence, i.e. FIRST Machine Design II/III THEN Fundamentals of Product Development.

I have failed the exam for the "Machine Design I" course for the second time. I was unable to participate in the supplementary oral exam due to illness. Can I apply for a new date in the next assessment phase?

No. The supplementary oral exam after the first repeat attempt of the written exam is a gesture of goodwill on the part of the MSE and is not an official provision within the exam rules. The Central Examination Office has therefore decided that this exam can only be taken directly in the context of a written repeat. The only supplemental test that is binding under the exam rules is the supplementary oral examination after the second written retry. As of October 17, 2013

I have already taken a written exam in the Design Technology area. Although now I would like to switch to another vocational field. Is such a change possible? Can the elective subjects I passed be taken into account in the new vocational field?

Changing vocational fields must be dealt with on a case-by-case basis between the student and the Central Examination Office.


I am studying industrial engineering specializing in Machine Construction and would like to apply for a curriculum change. Do I have to submit my application to the MSE Student Advice Team?

The MSE student advisor is responsible for reviewing the content of curriculum change requests for the Bachelor's degree program in Industrial Engineering and Management "Product Development" and the Master's degree program in Industrial Engineering and Management "Product Development". Curriculum change requests of other majors are to be submitted to the respective study advisor.